The Justice Department is reviewing “new information” tied to the FBI’s botched handling of the Larry Nassar case — after top USA gymnasts testified that agents had turned a blind eye to the former team doctor’s sexual abuse of them and hundreds of other women.
The DOJ is looking at its previous decision not to charge FBI agents for their conduct during the bungled investigation, Deputy Attorney General Lisa Monaco told the Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday.
“The recently confirmed assistant attorney general for the Criminal Division is currently reviewing this matter, including new information that has come to light,” Monaco said.
“I do want the committee and, frankly, I want the survivors to understand how exceptionally seriously we take this issue,” she added.
Monaco didn’t divulge what the new information was, adding that she was “constrained” on what she could say due to the ongoing investigation.
In an emotional hearing last month, famed gymnasts Simone Biles, McKayla Maroney, Maggie Nichols and Aly Raisman slammed the FBI for failing to act when they first reported being abused by Nassar.
“It truly feels like the FBI turned a blind eye to us,” Biles had said.
The hearing was prompted by a scathing report from the DOJ’s inspector general which found the FBI made dire errors that allowed the sicko sports doctor to continue to abuse at least 70 more victims before he was finally arrested.
The report singled out two G-men: former Indianapolis field office Special Agent in Charge Jay Abbott, who retired in 2018, and a former supervisory special agent, Michael Langeman, who was recently fired.
The inspector general referred both agents for prosecution, but the DOJ declined to bring charges against them in September 2020.
While the DOJ’s policy bars publicly discussing decisions not to prosecute, Monaco on Tuesday told lawmakers she was “outraged” by the inspector general’s findings.
“I am deeply sorry that in this case, the victims did not receive the response or the protection that they deserved,” she said.
Nassar, a former Michigan State University and USA Gymnastics doctor, has been accused by more than 260 women of sexually abusing them under the guise of medical treatment.
He is serving sentences totaling hundreds of years on criminal sexual conduct and child pornography convictions.
With Post wires